Saturday, October 18, 2008

Samuel and Charis come for a visit

On August 19th, our 6-day-old nephew, Samuel Rutherford, came to live with us for 2 weeks. He was soooooooo tiny and absolutely ADORABLE!!!! I still find it very hard to believe that my sister, Jeannette, actually trusted us to care for him during this time when she was unable to do so.The day he arrived......
His mother had him dressed in a blue gown and hat set and wrapped in a cozy blanket.
She also sent this cute little sheep that she had slept with, so that her scent was always with Samuel - what an awesome idea. Every time I put him down to sleep, I would place the legs of his lambie around the top of his head. This helped him to stay warm and feel all snuggly at the same time.
Caring for a small baby was far different than I had ever imagined- inability to stay warm, no body fat, diapers that are too big, etc.Yes, he must have been sucking his thumb in utero:)What a sleeping angel!
Luke and Charis
(Katie and Charis came for a visit to help me out with everything.)
Luke LOVES babies. Look at his hand gently touching Charis's face.Baby taking baby for a ride.First bath!
Samuel adored his baths and would totally relax, closing his eyes.Fresh-smelling, clean baby is one of the best scents in the world.This was a rare moment -
you couldn't ask for a happier, more contented baby than Samuel. Luke was so pleased that Samuel was in his crib.
Samuel being reunited with his daddy (Rob). Samuel and I just moments before he left to go home to be with his family.
These last 2 pictues are very recent.
Hasn't Samuel pudged up?


But he is still a beautiful, sweet little boy!!

3 comments:

j.j. said...

Wow!! What a difficult time for your whole extended family and what a blessing to R and J that you were able to care for their littlest one. Was Luke jealous of your time with Samuel? Luke is really thinning out from the last pictures I saw! Gone is all that cute baby chub! He looks like such a big boy.

Rachel said...

No, Luke LOVED having Samuel with us. In fact, about a week after Samuel went home, I was teaching violin and happened to mention something about "the baby." Out of the corner of my eye, I see Luke glance around, stand up and leave the room saying, "Baby." I realized instantly what he was up to - he went down the hallway to my room to look for baby Samuel. It was so sad and sweet all in one. It took him at least 2 weeks before he quit searching for "his" baby!

Beth said...

Oh that's so sweet Rachel. :) Mine LOVE babies too, so I'm going to have great "helpers" whenever we decide to have our next one. Luke is getting so big, I can't believe how fast our babies grow.