Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Amazing Turkey

The turkey I had selected was one of two. The other one was quite large, mine was perfect. Unfortunately, I was to discover that mine was lacking the price tag.
This story begins in the checkout line at Walmarts. A meat counter employee was paged. She arrived and left with my perfect turkey:( supposedly to print a new tag. Waiting..... 10 min..... STILL WAITING... Eventually, a kind manager walks to the back of the store and rescues my turkey, giving it to me for FREE because of the inconvenience:) Next, I triumphantly carried it home and set it to thaw in the fridge!!!
Well, by Tuesday morning it was completely thawed, however we decided last minute to spend July 4th with my sister and brother-in-law in Ohio. Not wanting the turkey to rot ( I am very particular about my meats), we opted to take it with us and eat it at my sister's place. Of course, we felt lazy, went shopping and then out to eat. Oops.
Not wanting to throw it out, Patrick convinced me to bring it home and cook it. We finally had a delicious turkey dinner Friday night. The next day, we had turkey melts for lunch and turkey leftovers for supper. Each day, I was tossing everything into a large pot - leftover spinach, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, butternut squash, turkey bones and meat, etc. On Monday and Tuesday, we had a wonderful turkey soup.
To recap : The turkey travelled around Walmarts, to Ohio and back, and then into our stomachs for five different meals. Now that is truly an amazing turkey!!! THE END

1 comment:

Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

Rachel that is a great turkey story! You are a good writter... I will look forward to reading more about your food adventures... and others. Oh! and I cant believe you have a meat counter at Walmart! I think we just got gardening sections. :)

PS When are you coming to visit us?

Sonya